This job is no longer available
Join Asda and you won’t just be part of a fast-paced culture. You’ll be part of a mission to save our customers money every day. It’s a simple idea that makes every minute of every day a real adventure. As well as outstanding development, there’s the buzzing atmosphere you’d expect in a place where everyone works together because everyone counts.
We’re very proud of our Yorkshire roots and Asda House, our Home Office, is still in Leeds. The teams at Asda House provide support to all of our stores nationally through many diverse roles. So in the queue for lunch at the on-site restaurant you might find a Buyer, a Solicitor, a Chartered Surveyor, a Project Manager, a Marketing Manager or an Accountant at any one time!
There are a wide variety of different departments all working together to support our store colleagues who are out there on the front line, keeping our customers happy and saving them money every day.
• To be fully responsible for the architecture within the store proposition department within Asda house
• Provide concept designs, and new innovation to unlock constrained sites, which are functional, affordable, and viable.
• Support the property function of the department in attending planning meetings, supporting/speaking at planning committee meetings, and attending public consultations.
• To be fully conversant in Revit, and sketchup, and produce 3D models which informs the business on the design and format of the store.
• Must have a good knowledge of renewable/ sustainable technologies, and BREEAM. The candidate must also understand how these elements can be integrated within our model store, and what implications it has on design and cost.
• Must be an external ambassador for Asda in the open market, and maintain established links with CABE, Architecture and Design Scotland, and other national/regional design bodies.
• Excellent presentation skills are essential, both freehand drawing, and sketchup (as a minimum) as the designs must be accurately communicated to other stakeholders within Asda house who do not have a technical background.
• Verbal presentation skills are essential, as the candidate will have to present to the planners, internal stakeholder, and on some projects, the Asda executive board.
• Must manage the internal design team which consists of architectural designers, in addition to highway, structural, and civils engineers. A full appreciation of site abnormals and constraints is a must, as it will be the head of architectures full accountability to ensure the business has the most efficient site design.
• Will be responsible for the management of our external architect’s panel. The candidate must provide guidance on design rationale, appoint/select new practices, and be accountable for the architectural fee level on every project.
• Must have a firm understanding on cost management. A crucial part of the role is getting the balance between the most affordable schemes, whilst still obtaining planning consent.
• Must have great depth in technical knowledge, and will be expected to contribute design aspects into our building model.
• Innovation is also a key requirement. The retail business never keeps still, and it is crucial that the candidate has design flair in addition to research and development experience to ensure that Asda stays ahead of the pack in terms of architecture
Experience & Qualifications
Extensive experience working within the retail sector is essential. Will require stand alone supermarket developments, multi-level formats, developer led schemes, and mixed use / high density developments. You’ll also be a fully certifiedArchitect (ARB) and RIBA.
To apply please visit our site via the apply online button.