This job is no longer available
The primary purpose of this post is the management of the planning and strategy functions of the Parks & Green Spaces Service at a senior professional level . Take the leading role in the application of the council's adopted Green Space Strategy (GSS) and other planning documents to ensure all new development contributes appropriately to provision of community facilities. Work in cross departmental planning teams to ensure only sustainable new development takes place and to develop spatial options for future urban extensions.
As one of a team to contribute to the general management development and review of the Team both in terms of services provided and staff in accordance with the Council's Vision and Values, policy and other objectives. In doing this to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
1. To be a member of the Parks & Green Spaces Senior Management Team and provide a senior professional level lead on all parks and green spaces related planning and strategy matters.
2. Manage the process of determining whether new developments should make green space provision by undertaking professional and technical assessments of all planning applications and providing detailed reports to Development Control Officers. Regularly review this process and instigate changes to ensure that it remains as effective a s possible under current planning policy and planning law.
3. Professionally balance all factors by using a detailed technical knowledge of the GSS, local / national planning policies, planning law and developer practices, to ensure that the best outcome for the council is achieved from every development.
4. Take a lead role in detailed negotiations with Planners, Developers and Lawyers over green space contributions and ensure that the outcomes are accurately recorded in Legal Agreements between the Council and the Developer.
5. Develop and manage a database of contributions to ensure that all developments make the appropriate contributions at the appropriate time. Liaise with Planners and Developers to maintain an up to knowledge of site progress.
6. Act as the lead Parks & Green Space Manager in all new developments and liaise with colleagues within the service over the design and future adoption of green spaces where these are being provided on site by the developer. Where financial contributions are made determine whether there is capacity within the Team to undertake consultation and design / arrange works, or whether this service needs to be outsourced.
7. For larger developments where outsourcing is required, act as the Project Officer and organise the employment and management of a specialist consultant. The service provided / supervised will include public consultation, design, tendering and supervision of landscape construction.
8. Maintain an up to date professional knowledge of all aspects of planning and green space related legislation and best practice in order to regularly review and update the GSS to ensure it remains relevant and effective.
9. Manage the GSS mapping and data sources to ensure that they are updated with each new development or as new green space is added to the portfolio.
10. Participate in the annual review of the GSS and periodic major review when updated census information is available.
11. Work in cross departmental multi-disciplinary planning teams to ensure only sustainable new development takes place and to develop spatial options for future urban extensions.
12. Represent the Council on outside bodies, steering groups and working parties and provide expert professional advice to members of the public, developers and external organisations in order to promote the Council's interests and to ensure effective implementation of development plan and related policies.
13. Prepare budgets for approval by the Parks & Green Spaces Service Manager by October prior to following financial year. Monitor cost centre performance against budgets and take action to remedy problems.
14. Advise Members, officers, outside bodies & the public on issues around green space provision relating to new developments. Present reports and advise Members on matters including the adoption of land and facilities.
15. This job description only contains the main duties and responsibilities of the post and does not describe in detail the duties required to carry them out.
16. Carry out any other duties commensurate with the grade.
3. Qualifications Knowledge & Experience
* Degree in Town Planning essential.
* Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute essential.
* Minimum 5 years experience of working in Local Authority Town Planning essential.
* Minimum 2 years experience dealing with green space issues essential
* A clean full driving licence essential.
* Excellent communication and negotiation skills essential.
* Computer literacy essential.
* Able to work on own initiative essential.