Design Manager – North West London
We are urgently seeking an experienced Design Manager to join a technical department based on site in North West London. The project is a new build and refurbishment for two schools.
Our client is a well known large contractor who works on various sectors including commercial, residential, education and healthcare. They are urgently looking for an experienced Design Manager to join their technical department in North West London.
The successful candidate will be responsible for Leading/Managing the design process in order to develop a design compliant with all contract requirements and in the most cost effective way (no over design). All information will be fully coordinated in order to deliver the project on time, within budget and to meet the client requirements
Key Tasks and Accountabilities:
The successful Design Manager will be responsible for:
• Leading the full design and coordination process from Commercial Transfer to Practical completion of the project.
• Supporting the procurement and construction teams in order to deliver the project.
• Ensuring consultant produced procurement and construction information complies with the contract requirements and are developed in the most cost effective way.
• Ensuring design output corresponds with design input (i.e. Ensures designers are in possession of the design input data).
• Reviewing Consultants Scope of Works and Responsibility Matrix, making sure they are back to back with other consultants and review the scope as required.
• Ensuring that all resources for coordination are on board and in line with the project strategy (i.e. cast in conduit, CSD, external services, etc) and this in agreement with the Production Manager / Site Manager.
•Reviewing the content of each design package with designer and production team (deliverable list per package with extent of what should be in each packages).
• Planning the design tasks in line with procurement and construction strategies developed by the Production Manager / Site Manager / QS. (in line with the TES and the package procurement strategies).
• Reviewing the content of each design package with designer and production team (deliverable list per package plus what will be included within the package)
• Define designer’s objectives: time, details, ratios, coordination's, etc.
• Monitor the performance of the design progress, budgets, quality against objectives and take all required actions.
• Organise and participate in design reviews, i.e. Envelope with Post Completion.
•Define a Consultants Fees Margin improvement plan and to provide it to the Production Manager / Site Manager.
• Lead the commenting on drawings and specifications in accordance with the design documents submission procedure with the QS / Site team support.
• Lead the sign off of the RWD, RFC (Released for Construction) and RFP (released For Procurement) status and this in line with the TES with the QS / Site team support.
• Manage the Doc control process with the doc controller support. (Objectives and requirement to be defined by the Design Manager). This include also such as but not limited to PTS, RFI, NCR, SDA, Design Approval matrix updated each time a New SIC is appointed, Having a Full size set of drawings updated on site, etc Site engineer are responsible for ensuring the PTS and SDA related to construction topics are managed.
• All design external approvals process such as Reviewable Design Data, Building Regulations, Planning Conditions, etc.
• Liaise between Clients, Consultants and the project staff for design matters.
• Represent company at the regular co-ordination meetings with the Consultants/ and if required sub-contractors. This includes leading weekly work shop meetings with Consultants. The Design Manager should ensure that MOM are done and filed correctly.
• Manage the subcontractors (design only) when delegated by the Production Manager or site manager.
• Ensure Design Coordination of the overall Consultants Design and Subcontractors.
• Assess and authorizes appointed consultants payments regarding their contract responsibilities.
• Supporting by preparing the objective or any financial points with the other member of staff for all relevant sections.
• Lead manage the Environmental Certification Process i.e. BREEAM: Strategy / design development compliancy, securing all Design credits in line with targets defined.
• Lead the Consultant Performance Assessment process.
• Provide all required setting information to the site team at procurement stage.
The successful Design Manager must have:
- Knowledge of the design process, at delivery design stage with a Main Contractor
- Good all round technical knowledge
- Good client facing skills
- Ability to manage consultants scope and budgets
- Broad Sector experience
- Have a good understanding of BREEAM and CfSH
- Understand the PFI/PPP 2 stage D&B process
- Understanding of fire and acoustic requirements
The successful candidate must have relevant UK experience and reside within commutable distance of North West London.
If you feel you the relevant skills for the position please send your CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org.