Design Manager - North West London
Job Purpose and Scope:
Responsible to Lead/Manage the design process in order to develop a design compliant with all contract requirements and in the most cost effective way (no over design). All information will be fully coordinated in order to deliver the project on time, within budget and to meet the client requirements
Key Tasks and Accountabilities:
• Is responsible to Lead the full design and coordination process from Commercial Transfer to Practical completion of the project.
• Is responsible to support the procurement and construction teams in order to deliver the project.
• Is responsible to ensure consultant produced procurement and construction information complies with the contract requirements and are developed in the most cost effective way.
• Is responsible to ensure design output corresponds with design input (i.e. Ensures designers are in possession of the design input data).
• Is responsible to review Consultants Scope of Works and Responsibility Matrix, making sure they are back to back with other consultants and review the scope as required.
• Is responsible to ensure that all resources for coordination are on board and in line with the project strategy (i.e. cast in conduit, CSD, external services, etc) and this in agreement with the Production Manager I Site Manager.
• Is responsible to Review the content of each design package with designer and production team (deliverable list per package with extent of what should be in each packages).
• Is responsible to plan the design tasks in line with procurement and construction strategies developed by the Production Manager / Site Manager / QS. (in line with the TES and the package procurement strategies).
• Is responsible to Review the content of each design package with designer and production team (deliverable list per package plus what will be included within the package)
• Is responsible to Define designer’s objectives: time, details, ratios, coordination's, etc.
• Is responsible to Monitor the performance of the design progress, budgets, quality against objectives and take all required actions.
• Is responsible to organise and participate in design reviews, i.e. Envelope with Post Completion.
• Is responsible to define a Consultants Fees Margin improvement plan and to provide it to the Production Manager / Site Manager.
• Is responsible to lead the commenting on drawings and specifications in accordance with the design documents submission procedure with the QS / Site team support.
• Is responsible to lead the sign off of the RWD, RFC (Released for Construction) and RFP (released For Procurement) status and this in line with the TES with the QS / Site team support.
• Is responsible to manage the Doc control process with the doc controller support. (Objectives and requirement to be defined by the Design Manager). This include also such as but not limited to PTS, RFI, NCR, SDA, Design Approval matrix updated each time a New SIC is appointed, Having a Full size set of drawings updated on site, etc Site engineer are responsible for ensuring the PTS and SDA related to construction topics are managed.
• Is responsible for all design external approvals process such as Reviewable Design Data, Building Regulations, Planning Conditions, etc.
• Is responsible to Liaise between Clients, Consultants and the project staff for design matters.
• Is responsible to represents BYUK at the regular co-ordination meetings with the Consultants/ and if required sub-contractors. This include leading weekly work shop meetings with Consultants. The Design Manager should ensure that MOM are done and filed correctly.
• Is responsible to manage the subcontractors (design only) when delegated by the Production Manager or site manager.
• Is responsible to ensure Design Coordination of the overall Consultants Design and Subcontractors.
• Is responsible to assess and authorizes appointed consultants payments regarding their contract responsibilities.
• Is responsible for supporting by preparing the objective or any financial points with the other member of staff for all relevant sections.
• Is responsible to Lead manage the Environmental Certification Process i.e. BREEAM: Strategy / design development compliancy, securing all Design credits in line with targets defined.
• Is responsible to lead the Consultant Performance Assessment process.
• Is responsible to provide all required setting information to the site team at procurement stage.
Knowledge of the design process, at delivery design stage with a Main Contractor
Good all round technical knowledge
Good client facing skills
Ability to manage consultants scope and budgets
Broad Sector experience
Have a good understanding of BREEAM and CfSH
Understand the PFI/PPP 2 stage D&B process
Understanding of fire and acoustic requirements
Bouygues UK is wholly owned by Bouygues Bâtiment International, a subsidiary of Bouygues Construction. A global player in the building, civil works, energy and services sectors, Bouygues Construction operates at all points of the value chain of projects: finance, design, construction and facilities management (operation and maintenance). On every continent, its 55,400 employees devise and develop solutions that make an improvement to the environment and to everybody’s lives. In 2012, Bouygues Construction generated sales of 10.6 billion euros.