Senior Conservation Architect – Historic Environments Team
BDP is a major international interdisciplinary practice of architects, designers, engineers and urbanists working together to create outstanding 'places for people'.
We work closely with users, clients and the community to create special places for living, working, shopping, culture and learning across Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia.
Founded in Preston in the UK in 1961, we now have studios across the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, the MENA region, India, and China. BDP has a leading track record in all major sectors including health, education, workplace, retail, urbanism, heritage, housing, transport, leisure, public safety and energy utilities, having won over 750 awards for design quality from international and national bodies.
About the role
This role is within BDP’s Historic Environments team in Manchester. The team has an established track record in the conservation and creative adaptive re-use of high-profile historic buildings with many award winning projects and a varied portfolio of current projects.
Key responsibilities include:
- Delivering conservation and adaptive re-use schemes on a range of listed buildings
- Supporting other teams within BDP where their projects involve historic buildings or historic environments
- Advising and supporting other teams within BDP on matters relating to the historic environment, including providing advice on statutory planning and technical aspects
- Preparing assessments of condition for historic buildings
- Preparing statements of significance and justification for works to listed buildings
- Preparing conservation area appraisals
- Designing strategies for the conservation and regeneration of historic areas
The successful candidate will:
- Be an Accredited (AABC) or Registered (RIBA) Conservation Architect,
- Have relevant experience of the types of work described above including:
o Heritage legislation within the statutory planning process
o Heritage justification statements
o Conservation management plans
o Historic construction methods and the specification of conservation repairs
- Be a team worker also willing to take responsibility and capable of working under their own initiative
- Have good verbal and written communication skills
The post offers the opportunity of early advancement to Associate level for the right person
BDP offers an excellent opportunity for your personal development as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes a competitive salary, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, contribution towards professional subscriptions and a great working environment.
To apply for this role please email a CV and covering letter, and examples of your work (which should be limited to a maximum of 5MB in a single, printable pdf) via the link below and quote vacancy number MR14-003 in the subject heading. Please also include an indication of your salary expectation. Closing date for applications is 25th March 2014
BDP is an equal opportunities employer
No agencies or third party applications please