Design & Planning Coordinator - Architectural Technician
A progressive, professional design & construction practice located in South-West London is seeking an experienced architectural technician / technologist to join our company, developing high-end residential refurbishment projects and basement conversions in Central and South London.
To support our growth, we are seeking to add an Intermediate level architectural technician / technologist to our proactive and hard-working design team immediately. We are looking for a committed and enthusiastic professional, ready to engage in a wide portfolio of responsibilities.
Reporting to the Design Director, but with the capability to work both independently and liaise confidently with staff across the company, the Design & Planning Coordinator will work closely with the design and construction teams on a variety of projects.
The post-holder will have specific and sole responsibility for managing the delivery of fully prepared, site-ready projects to the construction team on time. From overseeing architects to managing complex planning applications, structural engineers, party wall surveyors, basic fit out specifications for contract, site licenses etc, this role will provide first hand experience of the lifecycle of project design and preparation at a very high domestic level.
Responsibilities to include:
- Pro-actively managing a pre-contract project pipeline by:
- Driving forward all project preparation stages including Planning Consents, Engineering, Party Wall Awards and project specifications and contracts with a high degree of planning and tenacity.
- Producing existing and proposed plans in accordance with company guidelines, building regulations and planning restrictions.
- Drafting basic contract documents.
- Organized filing of all documents relating to project preparation on our bespoke real time database system.
- Identification and early resolution of any potential causes of delay to all stages of project preparation.
- Working closely with the interior design team to ensure designs are both buildable and to budget.
- Managing client relationships during pre-contract works.
- Attending office and site meetings as required.
- Preparing bill of quantities for fit out specifications, timetabling deliveries and special orders. Tendering for the supply and sub-contracted works of fit out work.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Ability to act as the company lynch pin for managing the construction workflow by bringing fully-prepared projects to contract and to site on time.
- Ablity to work independently and think both strategically and defensively to ensure no delays to project commencement are incurred.
- Excellent communication skills in FLUENT written and spoken English, with the ability to lead, influence and negotiate to meet deadlines.
- Remarkable organization and meticulous attention to detail.
- Creativity, with the ability to think expansively with logic and analytic skills.
- Skill at making decisions, acting on own initiative and operating in a pro-active way.
- Strong report and application writing skills and ability to order and bring together complex planning application packages.
- Sufficient construction knowledge to be able to propose and debate alternative solutions to architectural design challenges.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD or Vectorworks, Sketch up, all general Mac –based office packages and Adobe Creative Suite, and any 3D imaging software an advantage.
- Experience of dealing with statutory applications and have a good knowledge of current building legislation.
- A good understanding of technical issues and residential layouts and an ability to provide construction drawings and details when required.
- College degree (B.S.) or higher in a relevant field.
- Several years of working experience in a closely related industry.
- Client relationship management experience an advantage.
BasementWorks is part of the OLBC Group, which also undertakes major high-end renovations and restorations of period property in Central London. We are a progressive firm where talented staff can have influence and directional impact, and therefore have significant responsibility their future within it. We seek to retain successful staff and strongly encourage self-development and improvement. This is an excellent opportunity to join a leading high-end London-based design and construction practice with a substantial workload and portfolio of projects to deliver.
Applications should be made with a CV along with a personal statement relevant to this position, an example portfolio of work and your current salary expectations. Applications that do not contain these requirements will not be considered.