As Head of Architectural and Building Surveying services Petworth, you will be responsible for leading our architectural and building surveying team. You will be RIBA or RICS qualified, with strong design skills and a commercial approach to the successful delivery of individual projects. You will be a team player capable of adapting to meet different client types and their specific requirements. In addition to leading the team you will be expected to seek and secure new work for the continued growth and success of the department in addition to delivering and supervising a high quality service to our existing and diverse client base.
Successfully managing and leading the team will be a key requirement of this role. You will be expected to lead, support and develop the team in addition to overseeing the delivery, implementation and completion of all projects delivered from the office. This will involve all types of building and design projects including some technical aspects of building surveying relating to heritage property.
You will work closely with the other Partners of the office to ensure client relationships are well maintained and the department meets the financial and quality objectives set by the firm.
· Provide day to day and strategic leadership to the Petworth ABS department, ensuring that projects, jobs and responsibilities are delivered efficiently, cost effectively and in accordance with the firms financial and quality objectives;
· Identify and secure new instructions for the department to ensure its continued growth and success.
· Identify and implement opportunities to improve, diversify and enhance our service, whilst driving income growth, maintaining standards and quality of service.
· Monitoring our relevant legal obligations in the context of building design, planning and construction, ensuring and maintaining statutory compliance;
· To sit in and contribute fully to the wider ABS department and Petworth office as a whole and under the direction of the Lead Partner and Head of Consultancy;
· Be responsible for the full management and leadership of Petworths ABS team (including training and individual fee earner development and performance) seeking & delivering opportunities to enhance income and the quality of our service;
· To offer, provide and present excellent professional architectural and project management skills with a natural aptitude and flare for good design.
· Provide technical and professional support to the ABS and wider office team as part of our one firm approach to best serving and meeting our clients requirements;
· Identify, promote and deliver on opportunities to grow the department through new and retained instructions and maximising diversification opportunities within the department and through close collaborative working with other departments
· Be responsible for the effective management and administration of the department including its financial performance and the development, support and coaching of the individuals within it so they reach their full potential;
· To work closely and collegiately with the Partners of the firm responsible for delivering the growth, financial performance and quality of our service offering;
· Advise, facilitate and fully support fee earners within the office, as needed, with matters relating to ABS services provided by Petworth office and shared by other SG branch offices and departments.
· Ensure compliance with the firms policies, directives and regulations;
· Produce, implement and manage the departments targets/ budgets and undertake financial estimates and appraisals for projects as required;
· To be conversant with all Smiths Gores products and services, in order to give potential and existing customers accurate information in a professional and timely manner;
· To act as an ambassador for Smiths Gore at all times and to ensure our values are upheld to both external and internal contacts, through appropriate behaviour and performance;
Skills & Abilities
· Ability to win, secure and deliver new instructions
· Ability to identify and implement a practical and commercially appropriate solutions to strategic and day to day problems
· Proven leadership skills
· Proven financial / budget management skills
· Flexible and adaptable in approach to working hours and job tasks
· Enthusiastic, self motivated and willing to listen and learn · Good attention to detail
· Exceptional architectural and design skills
Knowledge, Education and Qualifications
· RIBA member or MRICS (with at least 5 years PQE)· ARB registered is desirable but not essential· Knowledge of good design, building methods, trades and building control
· Statutory / legal compliance in the built environment (including sustainability)
· Experience in a leadership role
· Previous experience of good building design and its implementation
· Experience building methods, trades and control
· Manage projects effectively on programme and to budget
· Selection, engagement, direction and management / administration of contracts and contractors
· Environmental management / compliance
· Training / development of others
Any other requirements · Excellent IT skills - including CAD, Sketch Up, Photo Shop, word and excel· Strong planning and organisational skills · Driving Licence
For further information please visit our dedicated recruitment microsite www.hays.co.uk/jobs/smithsgore