This job is no longer available
Looking for a new challenge? Are you experienced at designing buildings and would like to use those skills to help Essex County Council deliver its capital programme?
We now have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Design Services Manager. With a pipeline of construction work over the next three years averaging £50million per annum, we are seeking someone with design/architectural/construction knowledge, preferably school based but not essential, who could be part of a small dedicated team responsible for the county’s Capital Programme which is delivered by the private sector.
Moving to the client side and being part of a highly motivated intelligent client team is an excellent opportunity to broaden your knowledge and use your technical skills and expertise in a different environment.
The Principal Design Services Manager role requires someone with a good understanding of design, a strong track record of collaborative working, excellent communication and negotiation skills and the ability to respond to tight deadlines.
The Principal Design Services Manager role involves performing capacity and viability studies, preparing employers briefs and work information packages (employer’s requirements), discussing design issues with stakeholders, reviewing and commenting on design proposals/solutions submitted by consultants, maintaining the Council’s standards and providing strategic advice to the schools service team.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Relevant degree qualification in design, architecture or building surveying related subject is preferred or equivalent by experience.
- Membership of relevant professional body.
- Substantial design management experience with a successful record and a proven ability to actively seek out and learn from best practice with an evidenced orientation towards achieving high performance and great value for money outcomes.
- Experience in developing and delivering effective procedures and systems.
- A proven ability to constantly prioritise, manage and maintain a diverse portfolio of project related tasks, effectively balancing potentially competing requests in a matrix management environment.
- Demonstrable commitment to continual professional development
Please note that all our design work is outsourced and this position is not about designing solutions.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
Our aim is to be an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications, regardless of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, age or religion or belief. All applications will be considered solely on merit.