Design Manager - London
Bouygues UK is looking to employ a Design Manager for work in our Housing Technical Team in London. You will be primarily involved in Residential, Commercial and Mixed-use projects.
• Responsibility for Daily Design Management.
• Management of the Design Consultants on a daily basis,
• Liaises between the Client, the Design Consultants and the project staff for design matters
• Liaise with Site Manager for the development of design packages and procurement strategies
• Understand client requirements/output specs
• Ensure Design, procurement and construction information complies with Project documentation
• Reviews the design output and verifies its compliance with Client’s output specifications and BYUK’s Contract Proposals submission
• Prepare monthly report to Design Leads
Key Tasks and Activities
• Prepares the Design Management Plan (DMP)
• Endorses Consultants’ DMPs
• Defines consultant valuation and authorizes appointed consultants payments
• Defines designer’s objectives: programme, deliverables, ratios, coordination's, etc.
• Manage the flow of design information and the Document Control
• Support the procurement and commercial teams
• Represents BYUK at Client/User/Local Authority and other stakeholder meetings
• Co-ordinate the input from BYUK Technical Department necessary to develop a robust design
• Manage the Environmental Certification Process i.e. BREEAM / CFSH
• Manage (preconstruction) or participate (construction) the Design Transfer from preconstruction to construction
• Prepare Design Consultant Performance Assessments
• To undertake such other duties appropriate to the level and character of work as may reasonably be required within the Department.
• Prepares design programme in line with procurement strategies (developed by the Commercial Manager / Construction Manager)
• Defines Consultant responsibility Matrix
• Appoints or validates the appointment of Consultants in accordance with TEC.COP.03.01
• Defines scope and responsibilities of all parties involved in the design process
• Defines consultant fee level
• Attends contract review meetings
• Organise, chair and record Client Design Meetings
• Ensure Design Team Meetings and Workshops and scheduled by the Design Team and are chaired and recorded by the Lead Designer
• Organise, participate and record Design Review Meetings
• Co-ordinate the Planning Submission
• Co-ordinate early Building Control input into design principles
• Participate in whole life specification issues
• Responsible for the timely close-out of Design Corrective and Preventive actions, Non conformance.
• Prepares consultant deliverables inline with procurement programme.
• Authorizes the RFC (Released for Construction) and RFP (released For Procurement) status.
• Manages the designing subcontractors (for the design only) when delegated by the Project Director/Manager
• Manage interface with related issues of decants, phasing and enabling works
• Co-ordinate the Reviewable Design Data approval process
• Co-ordinate the Planning Submission and Approval processes
• Co-ordinate the building control submissions and approval.
• Understands and provide feedback on the Design Management processes in Eureka Evolution.
Essential & Desirable criteria:
• Good knowledge of the design process, at commercial and construction design stages with a main contractor.
• Understands the RIBA plan of work
• Good all round technical knowledge.
• Understands the planning process.
• Good communication skills.
• Ability to manage consultant’s scope and budget.
• Proven experience of managing design.
• Working knowledge of building regulations.
• Have a working knowledge of single or 2 Stage Tendering.
• Understanding of key design principles such as M&E design parameters, fire and acoustic requirements.
• Understands the principles of Building Contract and Consultant Contracts
• Very good knowledge of field of expertise
• Good knowledge of the regulatory environment
• Very good understanding of the Design & Build process
• Good grasp of the PFI process and other procurement routes
• Good knowledge of contractual issues related to consultants
• Good presentation skills
• Management of meeting process
5 + years experience
Must be at under graduate level as minimum
• Capacity to manage and develop a team
• Comprehensive negotiation skills
• Design, engineering or construction qualification.
This is a permanent position and applications will close on 23rd Sept 2014
Bouygues UK is wholly owned by Bouygues Bâtiment International, a subsidiary of Bouygues Construction. A global player in the building, civil works, energy and services sectors, Bouygues Construction operates at all points of the value chain of projects: finance, design, construction and facilities management (operation and maintenance). On every continent, its 55,400 employees devise and develop solutions that make an improvement to the environment and to everybody’s lives. In 2012, Bouygues Construction generated sales of 10.6 billion euros.