Design Manager – Main Contractor – High End Residential / Retail / Commercial projects – Central Lon
Design Manager – Main Contractor – High End Residential / Retail / Commercial projects – Central London
SSA are recruiting on behalf of a leading Contractor in the London market who are a leader in the high end residential, retail, commercial, & fit out sectors.
About the Role: The Design Manager will have specific responsibility for the management and coordination of the design element across projects. From tender enquiry to completion, the Design Manager will;
- Define scope and areas of responsibility, i.e. Main Contractor, consultant or specialist contractor.
- Identify the processes, systems and procedures required for the specific elements of each individual project, thereafter monitoring and ensuring compliance.
About the Responsibilities;
- Implement the design role in strict accordance with the Employers Requirements, the tendered design or the latest approved brief and manage change control procedures.
- Collaborate with all internal functions to ensure that all tender opportunities are robustly reviewed and prepared for in-house settlement meetings.
- Ensure that all projects are regularly co-ordinated, reviewed, updated and reported upon in accordance with company procedures.
- Support the commercial team in the development and adherence of the Project Procurement strategy.
- Liaise with the commercial and procurement team to verify that all subcontractor or material proposals are technically complete and compliant with the Employer’s Requirements
- Manage the consultant’s technical review of any subcontractor submissions.
- Ensure that risk management procedures are robustly implemented and communicated.
- Implement the successful administration of company processes and procedures in order that projects are delivered in compliance with all current and emerging legislation and standards, including the company’s internal quality management systems.
- Manage a blended team of internal and external design coordinators, architects, engineers or specialist subcontractors to satisfy the requirements of each specific project.
- Manage the design interfaces between consultants and specialist subcontractors ensuring the control and reporting of design change.
- Ensure that project specific design release programmes are produced, managed and monitored.
- Agree information required from the Design Team for the contractor design packages on the IRS.
- Agree information required from the contractor design package Sub-Contractors on the IRS.
- Manage the project design processes to ensure that the optimum programme is determined and agreed with all stakeholders.
- Review Town Planning approvals and identify and convey further actions required to discharge conditions and agree a timeframe in line with the construction programme for issue of information.
- Review with the Design Team and Approved Inspector Building Regulation compliance with the ‘passing of plan’. Agree any outstanding issues and identified who the actions are with.
- Review of any BREEAM/CFSH or sustainability requirements in terms of design information to discharge obligations.
- Develop design initiatives and offer value engineering during both the tender and build stage.
- Identify and progress areas for personal and professional development
About the Requirements;
- Relevant qualifications such as an architectural degree and preferably with a membership of a recognised professional body with an appropriate Health & Safety qualification i.e. MCIOB/ARB/RIBA.
- Proven experience in high end residential, commercial and retail sectors.
- Demonstrate ability to understand and manage a variety of construction and design related technical disciplines.
- 10+ years of proven hands on design management experience within the construction sector.
- Working knowledge of legal and contractual frameworks. i.e. D&B, Traditional and CDP items.
- Ability to demonstrate a wide understanding of the Design & Construction Industry.
- Ensure that best practice management techniques and processes are adopted.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritise project issues simultaneously and communicate effectively with all levels of the company or Clients organisation.
- Essential to apply good communication and people management skills.
- Must possess adequate level of PC literacy.
- Familiar with Microstation, Auto CAD, 3D design i.e. BIM, etc.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a leading London based Contractor with a substantial workload and portfolio of projects to deliver.
If you are interested in this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org