Regional Technical and Design Advisors
This will be a greatly rewarding post for a high calibre individual who is motivated, well organised, flexible, be able to work to tight deadlines and with experience of implementing change.
Reporting to the Design Assurance Lead, the Regional Technical and Design Advisor (RTDA) will provide technical and design quality assurance to ESFA Capital, as well as technical and design support for ESFA Capital delivery programmes, including Free Schools, Academies, PSBP (Priority Schools Building Programme), and other funding programmes including, Post-16, CIF, Capital Standards and Assessment.
The RTDA will managing a group of Technical and Design Advisors to provide design and technical advice to support programmes in achieving safe, sustainable and good quality schools whilst ensuring value for money outcomes. The RTDA will act as a professional link to programme delivery teams to ensure programme objectives are met.
This is a developing area of work and the responsibilities could change depending on the direction of the work in future:
- Manage a small team to meet overall construction quality objectives and ensure the team is supported and resourced to deliver agreed outcomes
- Work with regional programme teams to align the work of the team with the operational delivery of projects
- Ensure that technical advice and support/challenge is provided at both strategic and project level across the RIBA work stages, in particular at programme gateways;
- Proactively support the process and use of evidence, as well as gathering and investigating data from post occupancy evaluations and carrying out Building Performance Evaluations
- Proactively seek to improve technical and quality outputs and ensure programmes are empowered with the appropriate understanding of technical and quality standards to deliver their objectives;
- Be highly effective communicators to support and embed the technical and design knowledge and standards for requirements for school buildings and grounds;
- Have the experience, knowledge and ability to apply the technical and quality requirements to deliver safe, functional and efficient buildings;
- Act as a ‘critical friend’ to programme delivery teams, including Project Directors, Project Managers, and Technical/Cost/ICT Advisors, providing timely and accurate advice on design, technical, quality and policy matters;
- Recognise and be able to articulate how school buildings and grounds support schools to deliver education and operate efficiently;
- Actively engage, and work with other technical and cost colleagues across the ESFA Capital, to transfer technical and design quality knowledge across programmes and share lessons learnt;
- Develop areas of specialist expertise (for example off-site construction, fire safety, soft landings), and proactively work with the wider construction industry to support the development of the DfE’s standards and guidance;
- Role requirements (please include in the CV section how you meet the requirements below)