Gbolade Design Studio is an award-winning Architecture Practice & Sustainability Consultancy that specialises in residential and mixed-use developments for public and private sector clients in urban and suburban settings, through design & insight-led place-making. We also like to do things a bit differently. At Gbolade Design Studio, there’s no corporate nonsense, and no old-fashioned hierarchy or micro-management; instead, we work as a self-sufficient, yet integrated team.
About the Job:
We are currently looking to engage an Architect to join our dynamic team. The ideal candidate will have excellent design skills and construction knowledge with a strong focus on sustainable design (or at least a willingness to develop expert knowledge in this); and the ability to take a leading role in delivering projects with excellence in design and sustainability. GDS have a strong residential and mixed-use portfolio, so the role will have a focus on feasibility and developed design stage work; detailed design; strategic visions & master planning; contributions to bid works; as well as supporting members of the design team with on-going schemes and GDS design guides. The scale of current projects ranges from new-build housing projects to regeneration schemes, and community-led projects with placemaking as a core value. GDS work collaboratively with other practices and we are excited this forms our way of working.
About how we work:
This is a full-time position working Monday to Friday; with at least 2days / week in the office on stipulated days.
We offer opportunities in every aspect of project development, from concept and planning stages, through to project completion. The successful candidate will also be given the opportunity to be involved in the future growth of the business. We strongly believe in career growth and mentorship, as well as employee wellbeing: these are fundamental to the ethos of our studio. Shortlisted candidates will receive a copy of our ‘GDS Vision’ to ensure they sign-up to our working culture.
Key responsibilities include:
Design concepts and research (RIBA Stage 1-3): taking the lead on concept-driven projects, which will involve sketch/concept designs, preparation of explanatory diagrams
Development and production of planning application proposals and associated Design and Access Statement documents
Leading the design, delivery, coordination, and contract administration of RIBA Stage 4-6 Plan of Work Stages along with preparation of low-carbon construction details and on-site site inspection and project management duties
Leading and contributing to GDS-specific R&D and design codes and project & practice templates
The ideal candidate will be willing to work on developing the practices in-house Archicad BIM templates
- The ideal candidate will be a Qualified Architect and have:
- 5-10years UK work experience post Part 2
- 3years minimum on-site experience
- Led projects from commencement to completion
- Managed project consultant teams including structural / MEPH / specialist consultants
- Excellent job-running and site experience at all RIBA stages
- Excellent technical knowledge
Requisite skills and qualities
- Proficiency in ArchiCAD (BIM software) is essential (please do not apply if you do not have at least 3no. years of consistent Archicad use)
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign and Photoshop
- Proficiency in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office
- Able to enthusiastically present ideas as they emerge to clients, collaborators, and non-professionals
- Curious in acquiring new digital skills and implantation of digital applications within the studio
- A portfolio that demonstrates enthusiasm for furthering your knowledge
- Enjoy working both in a team environment and independently, taking ownership of the tasks
- High standard of visual communication and presenting ideas
- Have an interest in technical detailing and materiality
- Visual presentation know-how and ability
- A professional attitude to time management and delivery
Location: Hybrid working; the candidate will ideally be London / Greater London-based with a requirement to attend weekly team days & meetings in the London area; and site/client-based meetings as required by the project.
Time Commitment: Mondays: 8:30am - 5:30pm Tuesdays - Fridays: 9am - 5:30pm
Starting Date: Immediately, if possible
Submission: We ask that you submit your CV along with a portfolio (no more than 10Mb), both in PDF format, to email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org . with the Job Post Title in the subject of your email.