The School of Architecture at Pratt Institute seeks an Assistant Dean with exceptional communication, collaboration, and organizational skills who will build upon the strengths of the school across all four departments. The School of Architecture is an internationally recognized professional school offering B. Arch, M. Arch, and M.S. degrees in architecture and related fields. The Assistant Dean will provide academic and administrative leadership for the school. This position is responsible for supporting the work of the Dean to inform, develop and oversee the implementation of guidelines and procedures concerning the school's curriculum, academic hiring, peer review, and academic program review. The Assistant Dean will work with the Dean and department chairs in the development and implementation of an academic strategic plan for the School of Architecture and will serve as the key point person for some of these initiatives along with regular operations.
Located on Pratt’s historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt is an internationally recognized school of architecture, art, design, and information, which draws students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students, and staff, and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
- Assist the Dean in the development and implementation of an academic strategic plan and vision for the School of Architecture, in alignment with Pratt’s overall mission and strategic plan
- Assume other related responsibilities as required
- Assist in the coordination of the school media
- Assist with coordinating accreditations working with the Dean’s Administrative Assistant, the Dean, and coordinating with the relevant Chairs
- Coordinate the school committees, ensuring reporting obligations are met and that their progress is communicated to their relevant audiences
- Assist in operational activities such as conferring with faculty and students, external affairs with alumni, donors, and professional partners, completing questionnaires and surveys, and managing press and public relations both directly and in coordination with the relevant departments
- Assist the Dean in the development of private and corporate relationships, including managing related special projects and events, and coordinate the School Strategy Salons
- Coordinate with Chairs and Program Coordinators with new program development
- Work with the Dean to develop professional development policies to support the work of the faculty and staff
- Participate in service work including institute-wide committees and task forces, etc
- Assist the Dean in spearheading initiatives related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives
Education: A terminal degree in the area of expertise is required or equivalent relevant academic and professional experience. Professional licensure is advantageous but not a prerequisite.
Experience: Evidence of college teaching experience (5 years or more preferred); academic administrator experience including supervisory responsibilities (5 years or more preferred). Experience with curriculum, planning, and assessment as well as academic advisement also preferred.
Skills: Competence with relevant digital platforms and communication technologies. Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse faculty and student body. Expertise drawn from scholarship, teaching, and/or creative practice is advantageous
Application reviews begin April 1st. The preferred start date is by June 1st, 2021, however, the position will remain open until filled.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest outlining your experience and abilities, a CV, a 1-page statement describing how you have worked to promote diversity, equity and inclusion in your career and how you plan on continuing to do so here at Pratt, and the names and contact information for three professional references ensuring permission to approach them have been granted.
Applicants are also welcome to upload a publications list and/or a PDF of your portfolio, but these materials are not required for consideration.
Please submit all materials via our internal application site at https://apply.interfolio.com/83755
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.