CONTRACTS DESIGN MANAGER
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Based within the Contracts Department of this family-run offsite building company, this role is key to the successful delivery of the Contracts Department’s, and the Company’s, objectives. The candidate will need to work closely with the Contracts team to ensure optimum delivery of projects. The Design Manager will fulfill a pivotal role in the contract team, providing high quality design work in a timely manner in order to give the project team the best opportunity possible to deliver the project on time, to a high quality and at a good cost.
The candidate will be expected to:
· Be ultimately responsible for the design of all construction details on any assigned projects.
· Manage a team of 1+ draughstmen reporting in to them.
· At the early stages of a project, to be a key contributor towards ensuring that pre construction programmes in relation to procurement and design etc. are established and that they are realistic and in keeping with the overall project programme dates set.
· Adhere to the dates set out in procurement and design programmes.
· Put together detailed work packages for a QS to send out to suppliers.
· Shall work in accordance with the procedures set out by the Divisional Head of Projects so as to ensure that suppliers are competent and suitable for works they are carrying out.
· Shall sign off all sub-contractor purchase orders to confirm that the scope of works / design portion is correct.
· Shall participate in, and arrange as necessary, pre start meetings, progress meetings and final account meetings, with the sub-contractors and project team to ensure that all stages of the build are adhering to good design.
· Shall attend regular meetings with the project team to ensure that there is consistent cohesion between the design, procurement, programming and on site delivery of all aspects of the scope of work.
· Shall lodge all Building Control applications and ensure that Building Control Compliance is achieved.
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE OUTLINE
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and skills:
· Qualified to at least RIBA Stage II, or a full BA hons degree in structural engineering or equivalent.
· Other qualifications may be accepted, if the candidate can provide proof of exceptional design related experience e.g. a degree in Electrical Engineering, accompanied with significant high quality experience of general construction design.
· Proficient in the use of various design programmes.
· Proficient in the use of I.T. and Microsoft packages.
· Must have experience of attending and leading design meetings with both the client’s design team, and also with sub-contractors.
· Must have experience of working within a team and be used to and adept at working alongside a Quantity Surveyor and/or Contracts Manager.
· Must be proficient in the verbal and written use of the English Language.
· Must be a good communicator who is used to working in a team environment whilst contributing good suggestions and taking the lead on design based problem solving.
· Must have practical experience of attending construction sites and inspecting workmanship to ensure that sub-contractors and colleagues alike are adhering to the good design work provided.
· Must have a good knowledge of all building regulations and must have experience of lodging and gaining Building Control approval.
· Knowledge of BREEAM would be preferable but is non-essential.