This job is no longer available
In 2011 the Design Council and the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (Cabe) merged key design activities into an independent enterprising charity established by Royal Charter which provides design support and advice to industry, communities, and government. The Design Council seeks a Director who has high level architecture, urban design and place making experience, a passion for the built environment and the role it can play, and who will be a visible and influential torchbearer for British architecture and design. He or she will work as part of the top team, based in London, to direct the activities of the Design Council profitably and deliver our mission.
- Lead, manage and ensure the delivery of services around architecture, design review, place making and design support for communities, developers, government and public and private sector organisations.
- Work with the Chief Executive to develop and lead the strategy for planning and design services in architecture, the built environment, place making and communities.
- Work with the Business Development team to design and implement a strong and active business development strategy, building strong relationships with existing and new partners, and key groups to generate and deliver new business opportunities.
A graduate with wide experience across the professional remit, not exclusively an architect, planner or urban designer, but with deep experience and understanding of the impact of design on the built environment, planning and sustainability.
- Commercial experience (gained in the private, charity or public sector), with a strong track record in developing business and managing complex stakeholder relationships.
- A flexible and resilient self-starter with significant experience of leading, developing and managing a team through change and who is comfortable working in a fast paced, changing architecture and built environment landscape.
The Design Council is an equal opportunities employer.
Please click on the ‘apply’ button for a candidate brief containing application details, or contact us quoting reference NAO/42779.
The closing date for applications is midnight, Tuesday 19th March 2013.