Technical / Design Manager – Oxfordshire
This job has now expired
Our client is an international main contractor who works across a variety of sectors including residential, commercial, education and healthcare.
They are urgently seeking a Technical/Design manager to join their housing division.
The successful Technical/Design Manager will be reporting into the Head of Technical Services, the Design Manager performs a wide variety of tasks directly related to the planning, development, construction and operations of housing care and student accommodation projects from acquisition through construction and occupancy. This position is characterised by a high degree of initiative, responsibility, accountability and ability to work with a wide variety of individuals, registered social landlords, local authorities and private developers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead responsibility for researching, applying and finalising design for all phases of development, from acquisition and predevelopment, through construction and Client Care phases.
• Work with Regional Director on acquisition of development sites;
• Develop feasibility studies of proposed Designs; manages development and pre-start budgets for current Designs;
• Select and manage development team members, including architect, contractors, legal consultants, engineers and property management agents;
• Provide feedback system on consultant performance to ensure continuous improvement;
• Maintain computerised database of approved / preferred consultants and propose standard terms of appointment were appropriate;
• Co-ordinate the distribution of design information from consultants to office, site and subcontractors / suppliers;
• Acts as liaison between the organisation and the general public related to specific developments and garners community-based support for potential Designs;
• Attend City Council, Housing Committees, Planning and Residents Committee and other Community meetings, on matters related to specific housing developments or affordable housing generally; also management meetings as required;
• Perform all other assignments / tasks that are assigned by supervisors or others which are not covered in this job description and which the individual could reasonably be expected to perform.
Specific Project Responsibilities:
• Check design information for compliance with the latest version of Scheme Development Standards.
• Analyse information within Employer’s Requirements and prepare all necessary design and specification information for the Contractors Proposals. Provide information for alternative choices in respect of structure, materials, finishes, fixtures and fittings.
• Undertake the function of Lead Designer and full co-ordinate the Architectural, Structural, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering functions and the site, soil and other investigative works and remediation plans.
• Fully co-ordinate the works of statutory authorities from initial enquiry stage to order placement.
• Responsible for ensuring that designs comply with all the appropriate Government, local authority, NHBC and other similar bodies’ regulations and bye-laws and providing all necessary design and specification information required.
• Ensure that any third party with a design input enters into and duly executes as a deed a Collateral Warranty Agreement and ensure PI cover in place as required.
• Responsible for submitting, monitoring and discharging conditions in respect of Planning Applications, Building Regulations and any other Statutory Approvals.
• Contact the local Architectural Liaison Officer / Design Officer to register individual schemes and incorporate requirements into design and obtain certification on completion.
• Arrange for all Bonds required by the relevant authority for the execution of any agreements, monitor and obtain timely discharge of same.
• Work with our Consultants and Preconstruction team to develop project design, from schematic design through construction documents and construction administration to incorporate the most cost-effective energy-efficiency measures. Obtain ratings and certificates in respect of SAP / NHER’s, HQI’s, CODE & BREEAM.
• Apply to the relevant department of the local authority to obtain all necessary approvals and agreements to postal numbering and street lighting.
• Provide the Planning Supervisor with all such information as he may require to ensure the matters of Health and Safety have been considered at both the design and construction stages. On completion, provide all drawings, manuals and the like sufficient for the Health & Safety File as required under the CDM Regulations.
• Obtain all necessary consents and discharges with respect to the Party Wall Act 1996.
• Obtain lease and marketing plans and provide all necessary marketing information in respect of shared ownership and / or open market units.
• Appraising the site, survey reports and the design to ensure that build ability and value engineering is considered and efficiency encouraged in the layouts.
• Assisting with the cost development process (budget / cost planning / detailed pricing / tendering) to ensure that technical support is given as required.
• Ensuring that design is developed in accordance with the Employer’s Requirements or generating Contractors Proposals where required before contract’s are entered into.
• Input into the risk and opportunity register – and managing risk and opportunity through design with the commercial department.
If you feel that you have the relevant skills for the position and you live within commutable distance of Abingdon, then please send your CV’s to email@example.com.
Visit our website at www.redfishsolutions.com for other live vacancies.